During a thunderstorm, potentially all buildings can be struck by lightning. If lightning strikes the construction, it can lead to the complete destruction of buildings and fires.
Also, electrified air causes the strongest electromagnetic pulses, which lead to the overvoltage in the power grid. Apartment, office, industrial, buildings are filled with a lot of electronics. Thus, overvoltage of the network causes short circuits, equipment breakdowns and fire.
LandMapper helps to find the correct place to install a lighting rod
To protect buildings from damage you need to conduct earthing.
The grounding device connects the grounded elements of electrical equipment to the ground. This is necessary for the safe dissipation of electrical energy into the soil.
However, the conductivity of the soil is not stable: it depends on the mineralogical composition, as well as on humidity and temperature. Under a thin layer of conductive soil, there may be a thick rock layer where the resistivity is high. If you choose the wrong place for grounding, then there will be a fire in the building or cases of power failures. The place for grounding should be removed from buildings, underground utilities made of metal pipes.
For grounding, you need to choose the most suitable soil with the lowest electrical resistivity. The fast, portable LandMapper is ideal for this task.
Finding best places for electrical grounding with LandMapper
Landmapper measures the resistivity of the soil and can detect layers of different resistivity without digging.
You can take measurements in just 4 seconds.
- The device will display the resistivity value at various spots in the area around the home or at the place of the future building.
- After processing the data, you will receive a detailed map of the area with information about the regions with the lowest resistivity – best suited for electrical grounding.
- This will allow you to install the grounding device in a safe place.
Thus, you will protect the buildings from fires and short circuits.
Want to learn more? We will explain complex technologies in simple terms!
We offer a full range of geophysical instruments and software:
- Versatile field EC/RES/SP devices – LandMappers;
- Electromagnetic scanners (AEMP-14 and Geovizer);
- Deep & fast Electrical Tomography RES/IP instruments (SibER-32, -48, -64);
- Multifrequency 3D Ground Penetrating Radar (GRT-2X GPR – TerraZond);
- RTK GPS/GLONASS receivers;
- RES2DINV / RES3DINV and Aarhus Workbench Geo software
Contact us for advice on YOUR surveying project needs! Don’t get lost in details!