Landmapper is a device that helps farmers identify lands with contrasting soil properties without drilling, digging, and complex laboratory tests.
What can Landmapper do?
- measures the electrical resistivity and conductivity of soils;
- determines the soil salinity;
- maps the area;
- diagnoses the structure and texture of soils;
- determines the location of groundwater;
- identifies problem areas if there is soil variability;
- maps rocks in the soil at different depths.
What problems in agriculture does the device help to solve?
1. Soil salinity
Salinity is an excessive accumulation of salts in the soil, which leads to low yields. Salinity is formed due to many factors, including improperly organized watering. The content of plant nutrition elements in the upper part of the profile decreases.
The decline in yields leads to the fact that it is impossible to reuse the land. Farmers lose money, moreover, they are forced to look for new plots of land.
How do farmers solve this problem in a traditional way?
The usual method of conducting the analysis is inconvenient and long. You need to collect a big ammount of soil samples, to prepare the soil paste and use a vacuum extractor. The farmer needs to wait for the results from the laboratory for at least 10 days.
The salinity of the soil is constantly changing depending on weather conditions and depth, so you need to take regular measurements. Conducting frequent measurements in the traditional way is difficult, time-consuming and energy-consuming.
Measurements with Landmapper are easier and faster than analysis in the lab:
- you can take measurements directly in the field;
- reading the electrical resistivity takes 4 seconds;
- the device is compact and weighs only 250 grams (it can be placed in a pocket).
2. Stony soil
In hilly and mountainous areas, rocky soils are widespread. Rocks located at a depth are not easy to detect. To get a good harvest on stony soil, it is necessary to bring in fertile soil. But before you need to remove the rocks.
Landmapper helps you to determine the location of rocks at a depth of up to 20 meters. Thanks to the device, you can map the area. Knowing the exact location of the stones, you can easily get rid of them.
3. Soil variability
Soils are heterogeneous, that is, they have different properties in different territories.
The variability may be related to water retention, organic matter, yield potential, soil pH, and other factors. The mistake of many farmers is an undifferentiated approach to the cultivation of such soils, that is, they fertilize, plow, and irrigate the land as if it were homogeneous.
To get the maximum yield on a variable soil, it is necessary to start mapping it (to fix the territorial differences).
Landmapper allows you to identify areas of electrically contrasting soils that have distinct differences in properties (texture, water retention, stony, groundwater level), genesis. Data on the salt content, acidity, and groundwater level make it possible to implement a differentiated approach when applying fertilizers, sowing, and cultivating the land. This affects the increase in the yield of crops.
Want to learn more? We will explain complex technologies in simple terms!
We offer a full range of geophysical instruments and software:
- Versatile field EC/RES/SP devices – LandMappers;
- Electromagnetic scanners (AEMP-14 and Geovizer);
- Deep & fast Electrical Tomography RES/IP instruments (SibER-32, -48, -64);
- Multifrequency 3D Ground Penetrating Radar (GRT-2X GPR – TerraZond);
- RTK GPS/GLONASS receivers;
- RES2DINV / RES3DINV and Aarhus Workbench Geo software
Contact us for advice on YOUR surveying project needs! Don’t get lost in details!